MT9083A Anritsu OTDR
The MT9083A is an OTDR from Anritsu. An optical time domain reflectometer is used to characterize optical fiber by injecting optical pulses into one end of the fiber and measuring the results from the same end. The measurements are made on the scattered or reflected signals from various points along the fiber.
- Ready to test in about 15 seconds…and all day without recharging
- Specialized testing modes simplify operation
- High resolution and high dynamic range ensure quick and through fiber evaluation
- Intelligent analysis software identifies problem splices, connectors and even macrobends
- Rugged, sealed design provides years of service in the most challenging environments
- IP testing option verifies throughput, frame loss and point-to-point connectivity
- Test up to four wavelengths with a single unit - single mode, multimode or both
- Unique in-service testing without the need for external filters
- Verify connector quality with optional connector inspection microscope
- Display: 6.5 inch TFT-LCD (640 × 480, with backlight, transparent type), enhanced indoor/outdoor optional
- Interface; USB 1.1, TypeA × 1 (memory), Type B × 1 (USB mass storage)
- Data Storage: Internal memory: 440 MB (up to 1000 traces), External memory (USB): up to 30,000 traces with 512 MB
- Power Supply: 12 VDC, 100 to 240 VAC, Allowable input voltage range: 90 to 264 V, 50/60 Hz
- Battery Type: Lithium ion
- Operating Time: 8 hours
- Recharge Time: <5 hours (power off)
- Power Saving Functions: Backlight off: Disable/1 to 99 minutes, Auto shutdown: Disable/1 to 99 minutes
- Vertical Scale: 0.13, 0.33, 0.65, 1.3, 3.25, 6.5, 13 dB/div
- IOR Setting: 1.400000 to 1.699999 (0.000001 steps)
- Units: km, m, kft, ft, mi
- Languages: User selectable (English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, French, German, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish - contact Anritsu for availability of others)
- Sampling Points: Normal: 5001, High density: 20001 or 25001
- Sampling Resolution: 5 cm (min.)
- Reflectance Accuracy: Single mode: ±2 dB, multimode: ±4 dB
- Distance Accuracy ±1 m ±3 × measurement distance × 10-5 ± marker resolution (excluding IOR uncertainty)
- Distance Range: Single mode: 0.5, 1, 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200 km (MT9083A and B series, except 780 nm: 0.5, 1, 2.5 km); Multimode: 0.5, 1, 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 km
- OTDR Trace Format: Telcordia universal. SOR, issue 2 (SR-4731)
- EMC EN61326-1, EN61000-3-2
- LVD EN61010-1
- Fault locate: Provides end/break location, end to end loss, fiber length
- Standard OTDR: User selectable automatic or manual set-up
- Construction OTDR: Automated, multi-wavelength testing
- Light source: Stabilized Light source (CW, 270 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz output)
- Connector Video Inspection Probe
Fiber Event Analysis
- Auto or manual operation, displayed in table format
- User defined PASS/FAIL thresholds: Reflective and non-reflective events: 0.01 to 9.99 dB (0.01 dB steps)
- Reflectance: –70.0 to –20.0 dB (0.1 dB steps)
- Fiber end/break: 1 to 99 dB (1 dB steps)
- Number of detected events: up to 99
- Macrobend detection
- Real time sweep: 0.15 sec.
- Loss modes: 2 point loss, dB/km, 2 point LSA, splice loss, ORL
- Averaging modes: Timed (1 to 3600 sec.)
- Live Fiber detect : Verifies presence of communication light in optical fiber
- Connection check: Automatic check of OTDR to FUT connection quality
- Trace overlay and comparison, Template function, USB keyboard support, Remote control, Video output to PC
- Operating temperature and humidity: 0° to +40°C, <80% (non-condensing)
- Storage temperature and humidity: –20° to +60°C, <80% (non-condensing)
- Vibration: Conforming to MIL-T-28800E Class 3
- Dust proof: MIL-T-28800E Class 2
- Drip proof: IP51 (IEC 60529), JIS C 0920 TYPE I
The Anritsu MT9083A test set is designed to make your measurement experience simple and error-free with true one-button fault location, pass/fail classification, automated file saving and naming and even a macrobend detection feature for identifying installation issues. They feature multiple wavelengths and options to satisfy any network testing requirement: access or metro, FTTx or LAN...all without straining your budget.
The MT9083A delivers full featured OTDR performance plus loss test set and quality of service measurement in a surprisingly small and lightweight package. At only 28.4 cm wide × 20 cm tall × 7.7 cm deep and 2.2 kg (4.8 lbs.), it is field portable, yet rugged enough to withstand the outside plant environment. When equipped with power meter, visual light source and IP test options, it replaces several, larger pieces of test equipment.
The ACCESS Master is ready for measurement about 15 seconds after power-on so productive work can start immediately.
Long Battery Life
Since AC power is not always available where you need it, especially at fiber pedestals, the MT9083 typically provides up to 8 hours of operation on a single charge. This coupled with an optional car cord (for cigarette lighter operation) guarantees the MT9083 is ready when you are.
With its light weight design and user friendly dimensions, the MT9083 is perfect for the outside plant environment and can easily be managed with one hand. The shoulder strap (part of the protector option) further increases portability when travelling from the truck to the testing site.
The MT9083 features a solid casework with no fans or vents to keep dust or moisture from entering the unit. In addition, the protector option (MT9083A/B/C-010) includes rubber bumpers and a display cover for additional protection from those minor mishaps.
Generous Data Storage
With the ability to store up to 1,000 traces in internal memory and up to 30,000 via a USB device, the MT9083 offers plenty of storage for collecting and managing data.
No Experience Required
With the ACCESS Master, the experience is built in. With specialized testing modes, automatic parameter selection, PASS/FAIL indicators as well as features to virtually eliminate the chance to get “bad” results, the MT9083 can make anyone seems like a 20 year veteran. Let it help you master your network.
Easy “drag and drop” File Transfers
When the MT9083 is connected to a PC via a USB cable, the internal memory of the ACCESS Master can be directly accessed. Data can be selected, dragged and dropped into the PC memory, greatly simplifying file transfers. The MT9083 also supports use of USB memory sticks.
Common OTDR Data Format
The MT9083 supports the universal Telcordia SR-4731 (issue 2) format making it compatible with not only legacy Anritsu and NetTest products, but with many other vendors data.
Free and Simple Software Upgrades
Firmware upgrades are easily performed via USB and available from the Anritsu website for registered users or through Anritsu customer support.
Active fiber check
Not only can OTDR measurements be effected when the optical fiber is in-service but there is a potential risk of damage to the transmitter and OTDR receiver. To prevent these problems, the MT9083 verifies if light is present before starting measurement and will not transmit if it is. An on-screen warning and internal OTDR protection are also part of this useful feature.
Integrated Macrobend Detection
With many technicians making the switch from copper installations to optical fiber, installation issues such as macrobends are bound to occur. To help prevent this, Anritsu has developed a macrobend detection feature for the MT9083 that will alert technicians when a possible macrobend is present. This provides a higher quality of service for the customer and eliminates costly troubleshooting for you.
Wavelengths for Today’s Networks
Sometimes you just need more than the traditional 1310 and 1550 nm wavelengths to certify your next generation networks. The MT9083 offers a host of specialized wavelengths including 1383 nm for water peak verification of CWDM carrying fibers, 1650 nm (with integrated filter) for live fiber troubleshooting, 1490 nm for verification of voice, data and IP based video services and 780 nm for in-service troubleshooting of FTTx networks - without the need for any additional filters.
Improved Short Fiber Analysis
An event dead zone of less than 1 m (80 cm typical) and a sampling resolution of 5 centimeters allow the MT9083 to evaluate connections and troubleshoot central office, FTTx and intra-building faults with ease – providing a level of detail never before seen.
Event Table with User Defined Thresholds
PASS/FAIL thresholds for key acceptance criteria such as splice loss, connector loss and reflectance can be set in the MT9083 allowing technicians to easily assess a fiber’s condition. Failing values are clearly highlighted in the event table alerting technicians of potential problems.